A Christmas of goodbyes...

Many people don't know that I am not a native of Rochester, NY.  My family moved here in 1997 just as I was entering high school.  My childhood was spent in an entirely different region of NY.

Howell Family 2015

Quick "Howell" history lesson...

Howell Family 1980
My parents felt God calling them into ministry over 30 years ago.

In 1985 they packed up 2 year old me (the oldest Howell) and tiny baby Becky (the middle Howell) and moved from Brewerton (think Syracuse) to Redfield (think Tug Hill) where they were missionaries at The High Braes until 1989.

Howell Family 1983
During that time, Alisha (the youngest Howell) was added to our family and our dad worked towards earning his pastoral ordination with the Christian and Missionary Alliance.  

In 1989 - dad was asked to come on staff as the pastor at Vorea Community Church.  We moved 13 miles from Redfield to make our new home at the parsonage in Orwell.  And this, this is where I had the most incredible childhood - surrounded by the kindest people - with miles of wide open space - and snow... LOTS of snow.  It was an area filled with people we loved and people who loved us in return.

Howell Family 1985
Then, in 1997, my parents were contacted by New Life Bible Church here in Walworth (think Rochester) and, after saying some sad goodbyes, our family moved again.  And this, this is where I had the most incredible adolescence - surrounded by the most encouraging people - with incredible opportunities  - where both Becky and I met our husbands and have established our families - and where Alisha has excelled doing the things she loves.  It is an area filled with people we love and people who love us in return.

Howell Family 1988
For these past 20 years, this is where we have stayed as a family - literally, we are all a few miles down the road for one another.  We are more than just a family, we are friends - and the best kind of friends.

However, God works in very mysterious ways and He is doing that at this very moment.  Two decades after leaving Vorea - my parents and Alisha will be going back in 2017 to continue in pastoral ministry at the very church they started their pastoral ministry in.  Providence!

My heart is sad.  I hate goodbyes.  I'm struggling.  Struggling with not seeing my parents regularly. Struggling with not watching my children grow up playing in their home.  Struggling with not having them unexpectedly pop in on school mornings with Dunkin Donuts in hand.  Struggling with not meeting them at "our restaurant" each Friday morning.  And struggling with not being able to call on them for help during those moments when I simply can't do things on my own.

And yet, I can't help but also rejoice!  Rejoice that I get to reconnect again with the people who defined my very childhood.  Rejoice that I can watch my children play in a place that I played in myself.  Rejoice for a future of sleepovers and snow storms.  Rejoice that my family is loved by so many people - both here and there - and that they always have a home regardless of where God calls them.

This is a hard season of life.  Today, Alisha is at Rochester General Hospital undergoing surgery to remove a benign tumor in her ear.  Tomorrow, Abigail (my 5 year old daughter) is having her adenotonsillectomy.  Becky is just a few short weeks away from welcoming their 3rd daughter into this world.  And, as of December 25th, my parents will be making their move.  The timing feels overwhelming - yet, like my dad said, "There is a season for everything and sometimes the right thing is not the easy thing."  

In the days, weeks and months to come, we covet your prayers.  And we thank you, truly thank you, for the ways you have covered, and continue to cover, our family with love!

Howell Family 2015

There is a time for everything
and a season for every activity under the heavens:
a time to be born and a time to die,
a time to plant and a time to uproot, 
a time to kill and a time to heal,
a time to tear down and a time to build,
a time to weep and a time to laugh,
a time to mourn and a time to dance,
a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing,
a time to search and a time to give up,
a time to keep and a time to throw away,
a time to tear and at time to mend,
a time to be silent and at time to speak,
a  time to love and a time to hate,
a time for war and a time for peace.
Ecclesastes 3:1-8



Comments

  1. Praying for this transition. Dan and I retired and bought a house close to our children after moving away from them eight years earlier. Funny. Our children and grandchildren love having us close but really miss going away for a whole weekend to see us. Now it's an hour here or there and our girls complain that we never spend the entire weekend together or get to wake up in each other's houses. It was special. Cling to the special. Life is good near or far. Hugs and prayers for your dear parents, Elaine W. Miller

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your family's story, Cassie. Change like this is never easy. How wonderful to be loved by so many throughout different stages in your life! Sending you love and hugs as you all transition. Those are really great photos, too! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How we celebrated our "Tin/Aluminium" 10 year wedding anniversary.

Disney: 10 Tips Before You Leave

January 13th. What's the significance?