Cancer... The aftershock.

This December will mark four years since that dreaded diagnosis. That horrible "c" word.  The one that our world has come to recognize as destructive and deadly.  It is a word we cannot use openly in our home because it brings Bella horrible anxiety and puts our stomach in knots.

It was December 16, 2011 when Dave first noticed an abnormality.  The foreshock... 

On December 22, 2011, after rounds of testing and ultrasounds, and just three days before Abbi's first Christmas, we got the ground shattering news that he in fact had testicular cancer.  The quake...

As the reality of  Dave's diagnosis hit us, so did the fact that our world had changed.  Many unknowns loomed above, but one thing became very clear.  More biological children were not part of our future.  The aftershock...

Sometimes it feels like I'm watching from the outside.
Sometimes it feels like I'm breathing, but am I alive?
I won't keep searching for answers that aren't here to find.

In the weeks that followed, our schedule was flooded with appointments.  Family doctors, urologists, oncologists, CT scans, pathologists, etc.  The aftershock...

All I know is I'm not home yet,
this is not where I belong.
Take this world and give me Jesus,
this is not where I belong.

On January 13, 2012, Dave underwent surgery to remove the tumor.  A few days later the pathology results, much to our relief, showed a treatable less aggressive form of cancer known as seminoma. Unfortunately though, it had already begun to spread through Dave's lymphatic system.  The aftershock...
So when the walls come falling down on me.
And when I'm lost in the current of a raging sea.
I have this blessed assurance holding me.

Surgery would not be enough.  On March 19, 2012, Dave began to receive radiation treatments at the Wilmot Cancer Center.  The aftershock...


All I know is I'm not home yet,
this is not where I belong.
Take this world and give me Jesus,
this is not where I belong.

Those six months following radiation were are some of the longest I have ever experienced.  We had to wait for his body to normalize before the tests would show answers.  The aftershock...


When the earth shakes, I want to be found in You.
When the lights fade, I want to found in You. 

We continued on with life, but in the back of our minds always wondered if the radiation had been successful. A few questionable blood tests kept us on our toes.  The aftershock...

All I know is I'm not home yet,
this is not where I belong.

On October 23, 2012, and because of God's great mercy, the oncologist informed us that Dave was in remission!  Every six months, from that moment going forward, he goes back for testing and followup procedures.  The aftershock...

Take this world and give me Jesus,
this is not where I belong.

For the past three years, his test results have remained clear, and we continue to pray that he will stay in remission until the doctor declares those sweet words... cancer free!

Today, I ask for prayer as Dave heads to the lab to receive, again, the list of necessary tests.  Next Wednesday, we will follow up with the oncologist and hear the most recent medical update.  We know that, whatever the outcome is, God has a plan for my husband and our family. Ultimately, we desire to be in His will.

As we continue to go through life, I am constantly reminded that this is not our home. We were created for a greater purpose, and heaven waits for those who have accepted Jesus' beautiful gift of salvation.  Earth is a quick stopping place, eternity is forever.   God created you, God loves you, and God is calling you...  It is our prayer that you get to experience God's salvation, and the peace that Jesus offers, for yourself.


For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, 
that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life.  

For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, 
but to save the world through Him.  

John 3:16-17

Today, I am committed to cherishing the time I have with my precious family, and thank God that he gives us grace for each moment.



Dave's favorite worship song is 
Where I Belong by Building 429.
You can watch the official music video here.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How we celebrated our "Tin/Aluminium" 10 year wedding anniversary.

Disney: 10 Tips Before You Leave

In Christ Alone - This Wife's Perspective on Cancer