When fear replaces power...

October.  It's one of the greatest months here in Upstate New York.  The weather turns cooler, but not yet cold, and sweatshirts and boots are the preferred attire.  The leaves turn colors creating a gorgeous backdrop to our day-to-day schedules.  The smells change and everything feels refreshing.


As a family we spend our October weekends; apple and pumpkin picking, taking hay rides, walking mazes, eating donuts, drinking apple cider, making huge leaf piles, and doing all things autumn. It's my favorite time of year.  Except for 2016.


This year, however, my family has been consistently sick.  From allergies to sinus infections. From hand foot and mouth to strep to the stomach bug.  From tonsillitis to ear infections.  My girls never made it through an entire week of school this October, and we have spent more time at the doctors office and on prescription medications in just this one month than we have the entire year...combined.


Normally I try to take these things in stride - to not overreact or feel anxious, but with Abbi's upcoming tonsillectomy, I'm totally panicking!  I understand that there are many children (probably even your own) who have had their tonsils and adenoids removed.  I know that it's a common in-and-out surgery.  I remind myself that her doctors have seen and done this hundreds of times.  The surgery itself is not what worries me, it's the weeks leading up to it and the recovery following it.

In 6 days we need to take Abigail off of all her current medications - her steroid nose spray, her standard (and emergency) allergy medications, her asthma granules and inhaler, any and all pain/fever reducing medications, etc - and pray, fiercely pray, that she stays healthy enough to not need these for several weeks.

If you are new to Abigail's health journey - 
you can ready about it here and here.

In 28 days we will hand her over to the surgeon and pray, boldly pray, that my beautiful girl - who negatively reacts to vaccinations, environmental triggers, and food - will not have an adverse reaction to the medication used before, during and after the surgery. 

 
I realize that I can't control any of this.  I know that my baby is being held in His hands who are much more capable than mine.  I understand that she has a Protector who walks before and with her.  And I'm so thankful that God has given our Abbi a spirit of power and not a spirit of fear.  

For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, 
but of power, love, and self-discipline.
1 Timothy 1:7

In the days and weeks to come, please join us in praying.  Pray for Abigail's health and protection, pray wisdom on the doctors and that their hands will be intentionally guided, pray for a comfortable recovery, and pray that power will replace fear in my own nervous-mess-of-a-mom's heart.

..."My grace is sufficient for you,
for My power is made perfect in weakness."
Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weakness,
so that Christ's power may rest on me.
2 Corinthians 12:9


Comments

  1. Dear Dear Cassie, I so understand "your nervous mess of a Mom's heart". After Derek was born with Spina Bifida we were thrown into a whole new world with words that sounded so foreign to us; like myelomeningocele, frontal encephalocele, hydrocephalus, paralysis, incontinence!!! Derek had to have his first surgery when I was in another hospital as he was 1 day old. We did not know the Lord back then; but once we gave our hearts to Jesus; we saw His hand over Derek and Jim and I throughout Derek's 16 surgeries. It is a very scary time; and watching your child being wheeled into the OR is the hardest thing a parent can do. BUT, you know our Great Physician will be holding your precious girls in His arms with His empowering protection; as He guides and directs the surgeons in His wisdom. Of course your girls will be lifted up in our prayers and you and Dave as well. I love you dearly.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How we celebrated our "Tin/Aluminium" 10 year wedding anniversary.

Disney: 10 Tips Before You Leave

In Christ Alone - This Wife's Perspective on Cancer